Monday, September 10, 2012

Garbage

With kids in the house I am always using Lysol wipes.  Normally I just toss the containers in the recycle bin when they are empty.  However, to save a few extra dollars I have stopped buying the small garbage bags for the bathrooms and have started using the plastic grocery bags instead (not the prettiest, but they fit and work great while reducing waste by just tossing them).  A trick I use sometimes is just putting a few extra empty bags in the garbage can under the open bag so when the kids or I empty them, you don't have to go hunting them down.  However, now that I am trying to save the grocery bags I seem to have a lot of them just sitting around and it makes the house feel cluttered.  So, after some thinking I have decided that I am going to reuse the Lysol wipe containers for the bags and just store them under the sink in the bathrooms.  This reduces the clutter and helps me feel a little crafty at the same time.  I did cut out the little flaps in the lid to allow for a bigger opening, which helps the bags come out easier. 
I have seen online ways to "fold" the bags so they pull out like wipes, but with the bigger container I got more bags in by not folding them then I did by folding them. 

To help reduce the confusion for the kids, I pulled the label off but didn't like the solid white container so I decided to decorate it a little.  I had some extra scrapbook paper sitting around and found a color that matched the lid and used mod podge to attach it. 

So, while reducing money spent and waste from the house I was able to store and reuse grocery bags and another container. 

Happy savings!

-Sarah D. 

No comments:

Post a Comment