Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Homemade entertainment.

My 6 year old came home one day and asked for a jet pack (who knows where they get these ideas). So, after some thought and a debate on how to get them I made him some. The spray paint was the most expensive piece. Total I spent about $8 on this project but, that was because I didn't have any spray paint or Velcro at the house.

I took two empty 2 liters and painted them. I glued them to a piece of cardboard that I also painted. Then I cut up an old towel and used Velcro to make the straps. That way Robert could adjust them as needed. For the flames I just used some felt (about 25 cents a piece at Michaels) and glued them in the end of the bottles.

Super easy and quick. He loved them!

Maybe not to the quality of a store toy, but a lot cheaper.

Another recent money saving project concerns Halloween. Robert asked to be a gangster and wanted a briefcase of money to put his candy in instead of a bag. So, I just happen to have a cardboard box (from a trip to White Castle with two boys and a hubby that was starving and order 30 burgers!!) sitting around. I spend 4 bucks on brown spray paint and this is the results. I cut a big hole in the top for treats to fall in.

Homemade toys and costumes are a great way to save money!!

No comments:

Post a Comment