Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Thrifty Trick Or Treat

I love seeing all the kids in costume so I always make sure to have treats on hand for Halloween.
Well, with the need to spend less this year I had to rethink the 30-40 dollars I usually spend on candy. So, this year I didn't spend any money on candy.
But, no kids have to worry I still came up with a bowl full of treats.

What was my trick? I raided the pantry and gathered all the candy in the house (a mix of stuff, things the kids got from a Halloween at the park and don't want to eat, stuff from grandparents, etc.). Then I kept going. The half of box of gummy treats, Drink mix packets the kids had to have but didn't use all of them, single serve pudding pouches, gum.

Then I went through the craft boxes and found a bunch of cool stickers and temporary tattoos I had forgotten about. Pencils that the kids have drug home and never used, little notepads (my kids love these to draw in) cute bookmarks. Small prizes they have won from the Bounce House and just threw in drawers, other small toys they never play with.

So, now I feel like I have cleaned out some clutter but I have a variety of treats to hand out without spending any extra money. Plus, for the parents that might not want a ton if candy, there will be a few less pieces given out due to the toys, etc. that we will be handing out instead of so much candy.

Happy Halloween!

-Sarah D.

No comments:

Post a Comment